Dr. Stephen Chan began his medical career in the same area he spent much of his young life—Southern California. He earned his bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and went on to complete his Doctor in Dental Surgery degree (DDS) at the UCLA School of Dentistry. Afterward, Dr. Chan completed a two-year residency at UCLA Medical Center, where he provided vital dental services to the medically compromised, liver and kidney transplant recipients, and mentally and physically disabled persons. During his residency, he administered conscious IV sedation and performed dental treatments for patients under general anesthesia.
After completing his residency, Dr. Chan went on to earn his Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas. Simultaneously, he successfully finished a residency program in oral and maxillofacial surgery and trained at myriad hospitals, including Children’s Medical Center, Zale/University Hospital, St. Paul Hospital, Parkland Memorial Hospital, JPS Hospital at Fort Worth, Baylor Hospital, and the Veterans Affair Medical Center—during which he also completed a general surgery internship and training as an anesthesia resident.
Dr. Chan specializes in dental implants and advanced bone grafting, ranging from single tooth replacement and multiple teeth restorations to full mouth reconstruction using the All-on-Four technique. He also focuses on wisdom teeth, pathology, trauma, and soft tissue surgery.
Dr. Chan is certified in advanced cardiovascular life support (ACLS), pediatric cardiovascular life support (PALS), advanced trauma life support (ATLS) and is permitted to administer general anesthesia, IV and oral sedation. He is a well-known thought leader, experienced surgeon, and is highly involved within his community:
- Diplomate in Special Care Dentistry by the American Board of Special Care Dentistry
- Member of the Texas Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS)
- Member of the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology (ADSA)
- Member of the International Team for Implantology (ITI)
- Board of Director of the North Texas Dental Society, local constituent of the Texas Dental Association and American Dental Association