If your treatment includes the use of intravenous anesthesia, please follow our instructions for preparing for your treatment.
Food and Drink
- You cannot consume any food or drink for 8 hours BEFORE your treatment. If you are taking medications, drink only a small sip of water unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
- Eat a light meal the night before your treatment.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverage for 24 hours before your treatment or for 48 hours following treatment.
- Do not smoke for 24 hours prior to your treatment. Smoking reduces your body’s ability to heal.
- Continue to take your medications with a small sip of water unless our team of doctors or your primary care physician provides different instructions.
- It is advisable to avoid medications that can prolong bleeding for the week before your surgery. Medications including aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications (including Advil, Motrin, or Naproxen), and vitamins C & E should be avoided. Additionally, some herbal supplements can impede your mouth’s ability to heal properly. Talk to our doctors and your physician prior to treatment regarding blood thinning medications such as Coumadin, Plavix, and Warfarin.
- If you are taking medication to manage diabetes, you should refrain from taking your nightly dose prior to your scheduled day of treatment. You should also refrain from taking your usual morning dose on the day of your procedure. Please consult your doctor for more information regarding your diabetes medication.
- Following treatment, you will not be permitted to drive home by yourself. You will need a responsible adult to provide transportation. Anesthetics can stay in your system for as long as 48 hours, impacting your reflexes and awareness. You should not drive or operate heavy machinery for the remainder of the day.
- For patients under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must be present and provide legal written consent for the treatment.
Clothing and Jewelry
- We ask that you wear comfortable clothing on the day of your treatment. Clothes should be loose fitting and sleeves should be able to be easily pulled up past your elbow.
- Wear flat, comfortable shoes that can be easily removed.
- Do not wear or bring any valuables to your appointment. You will be required to remove all jewelry, hearing aids, contact lenses, and glasses before your surgery.
- Refrain from wearing eye makeup, wigs, lipstick, hairpieces, or nail polish to your appointment.
Admission, discharge, and payments
- We ask that you arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- The balance of your fees will be collected prior to your treatment. We require that all financial concerns be discussed no less than one day before your scheduled operation.
- Any failure to comply with these instructions may result in the cancellation of your treatment.